GoodNews v2.0 - Mail and News reader for UMS
By Jean-Marc Xiume' and Jerome Fleury
GoodNews is based on IntuiNews v1.4 Copyright © 1993-1996 by Matthias
Scheler and Markus Stipp, but they are neither responsible for it and
nor will offer support for it.
GoodNews uses MUI by Stefan Stuntz, see ReadMe.mui for more details.
GoodNews is a software that enables you to read and write e-mail and news
with UMS (Universal Message System). As IntuiNews's authors had the
kindness to give the sources of their program, we decided to go ahead with
To know how to use GoodNews read the documentation file GoodNews.guide.
Main changes in version 2.0 (compared to previously released version 1.5)
* GoodNews 2.0 - 10 june 1997
- Public distribution on Aminet.
- Added the new features, corrected and updated the english and french
versions of the amigaguide documentation GoodNews.guide .
- Some bug fixes.
* GoodNews 1.5.11 (beta release) - 31 may 1997
- New "Sort" button in the address book editor.
- "Edit" and "Delete" buttons in the address book editor now support
- New config variable GoodNews.RexxMenu allowing to configure a new
menu called "Rexx", used to start ARexx scripts from any GoodNews
* GoodNews 1.5.10 (beta release) - 11 may 1997
- Fixed some layout problems in the Global Search window.
- You can now open only 1 Address Book Editor at the same time.
- Some cleanup in Custom Class and memory handling.
- Internal changes.
- New config variable: ( GoodNews.QuitConfirm "yes|no" )
If set to "yes", GoodNews opens a confirmation requester when
quitting (default to "no")
- Better layout in the Article Window with the Set Flags buttons.
- ScanMode1 and ScanMode2 now correctly initialize cycle gadgets on
- Added a "Save" button in the Address Book Editor.
- Fixed a bug when using the "Del" button in an empty list of an
Edit User/Group window of the Adress Book Editor.
- The menu item "Add to address book" now uses the Address Book Editor.
- Added titles in the list of the Edit Group window.
- The Address Book Editor can now be open from any window
(Group, Article and Message).
- More Drag&Drop support:
. from Article list to the main Address Book Editor list, in order to
add users in the list.
. from the Article list to an Edit Group window of the Address Book
Editor, to add users in the list.
. Edit User/Group windows are now "drag sortable".
. from the main Address BookEditor list to the list of an Edit Group
window, to add the user to the group.
. from the list of an Edit Group window to the main list of the
Address Book Editor, to copy a user.
- New config variable ( GoodNews.Picture <iff file path> ) to allow
displaying picture in front of a group name in the group list.
- New config variable ( GoodNews.GroupHeight nb ) to specify the height
of the pictures that will be displayed.
- Removed some bugs in the Adress Book Editor.
- The Select window (which allows selecting articles) is now fully
* GoodNews 1.5.9 (beta release) - 16 apr 1997
- GoodNews now features a full working Address Book Editor:
Fully independent: you can still use GoodNews while editing the
Fully multiwindowing: you can edit many users/groups at the same time
You can sort the list with Drag&Drop
You can drop main list items into already existing edit windows.
- More Drag&Drop support:
From the Article List to the Message Window, it acts like the
String gadgets in the Global Search Window can now be be dragged and
- New About requester with logo (Thanks to Eric Gerard).
- Fixed the problem of Cycle gadgets not using the same font as
standard buttons (reported by Michael Prix)
- Fixed the problem of external MUI libs (especially listtree.mcc) not
being closed on exit.
- Changed the behaviour of the variables GoodNews.GroupTitles and
GoodNews.Articles. See the documentation for more details.
- Major internal changes.
- Bug fix: the distribution field wasn't updated while editing a mail.
* GoodNews 1.5.8 (beta release) - 02 avr 1997
- GroupTree mode should now work correctly.
- The "Old" flag can now be toggled, using the config var
( GoodNews.SuperFlags "yes" )
- GoodNews now uses and writes GoodNews.DontTouch variable instead
* GoodNews 1.5.7 (beta release) - 24 mar 1997
- Fixed stupid bug when Article List had exactly 3 entries.
- Definitely fixed stupid bug when closing BookList window in the
* GoodNews 1.5.6 (beta release) - 23 mar 1997
- Some enforcer hits removed (while opening/closing the BookList window of
the Mail window)
- GroupTree mode has now infinite depth level, the separator for group names
is the dot '.'
- Added new variable GoodNews.GroupTitles "yes|no" to display Group List titles.
- Added support for Reader.* variables. These are the first searched variables.
GoodNews.* and IntuiNews.* variables are still supported.
- Few internal changes.
* GoodNews 1.5.5 (beta release) - 21 mar 1997
- Some enforcer hits removed (while rescanning the group list in tree mode)
- The Article Flags window is now a panel button implemented in the message
window, as requested.
- Few internal changes.
* GoodNews 1.5.4 (beta release) - 17 mar 1997
- Yet major internal changes.
- Grouptree mode should not display trash anymore. Could still be stale.
- Drag&Drop in the Group window:
. from the list to the buttons "Read...", "Post..." and "Mail...".
Buttons can react or not depending on the selection.
- Bug fix in the cyclechain of the Group Window when activating the list.
- Bug fix in Grouptree mode when clicking on "Read..." with an empty list.
- Drag&Drop in the Article Window:
. from the list to the buttons "Write..." (only if one list entry is
dropped on it, acts then like "Follow up...") and "Read selection..."
- In MailText mode, the container is now a NListview object: you can
disable wordwrapping and play with NListview prefs.
* GoodNews 1.5.3 (beta release) - 27 feb 1997
- Major internal changes (code rewrite using custom classes).
- Scanmode cycle gadgets are now independant within the two different
windows (article list and group list).
- Date format changed in the version string.
- GoodNews.* variables are now supported. A variable is first searched
under this name, and if it doesn't exist it is then searched under the
The GoodNews.moderated and GoodNews.groups variables hasn't been tested
yet, please report if they work or not !
- New "GroupTree" variable to display the grouplist in a list tree
(very simple for now : only one level). Some crashes may happen
depending on your config, please test.
- Some changes in the "About" window.
- Drag&Drop in the Mail and Post windows :
. from the list subwindow (newsgroups or addressee) to the main list.
. from the main list to the "Delete" button.
* GoodNews 1.5.2 (beta release) - 02 feb 1997
- Column titles in the article list, switchable by the config variable
- You can now specify an ArticleFormat variable for each group.
- Ability to search also for the "Exported" flag in the global search
- New entry in the ScanMode1 cycle gadget, named "Not Exported", to
scan for messages that have not been exported yet.
It works perfectly in the article list window but not in the group
list window. It seems this cannot be done, due to a limitation in UMS
local flags (the 16 available flags are already used).
- Improved the memory handling of the article list window and the menus
- Bug fix: "Forward as mail" and "Forward as news" menus are again
functional within the article list window.
- Bug fixed on the arexx RESCAN command that wasn't working anymore after
custom class oriented rewritings.
- The version string now contains the date in the right format.
* GoodNews 1.5.1 (beta release) - 19 jan 1997
- Displaying of the Groups and Articles windows are now configurable using
2 new config variables. The syntax follows directly the MUI multi column
- Some improvements and cleanup in the source code. Group list and article
list are now implemented as custom classes.
- New menu items "MUI Settings..." and "About MUI..." to follow MUI3
- New warning requester when forwarding a mail to a newsgroup.
- Localization of the date in the message window and in the article list.
- fidonet : 2:320/104.22
- amiganet : 39:180/1.22
- usenet : jmxhol.fr
- Fidonet : 2:320/104.86
- Amiganet : 39:180/1.86
- Usenet : jerflmail.cpod.fr
WWW site: http://www.mygale.org/07/jmx/goodnews